Sunday, November 17, 2013

Children

I wanna have children!
I wanna place my hand
on my tummy one day
knowing that within it
life sparked
and is fostering

I wanna have children!
I want a home filled with
pitter patter &
laughter
I wanna wipe away tears
and kiss skinned knees

I wanna have children
Crazy concept
for a girl who went from wanting
a girl and a boy
to wanting none at all
to suddenly wanting again

I wanna teach my child
about the mysteries of the world
I want to teach them
about life
I wanna teach them all the things
my mother(s) taught me
and everything my mother didn't

I want pictures on the fridge
and first date anxiety
minivan sports Saturdays
and school plays
I want graduations!
Lots and lots of birthday parties
I want bedtime stories
Driver’s Ed classes
and science fairs

I wanna have children
I want a daughter to give away at a wedding
or a son who knows the value of chivalry
I wanna shop for dorm rooms
and talk about report cards
I want family summer trips
Children who never have to wonder
what's beyond the borders of their city
but learn to cross borders to other cultures

I wanna have children
that fuss at me
for singing in the shower
Loudly
or their grandfather
I want to be there
for every heartache
hoping there aren't too many
I want the joy
of being the first voice
they'll ever hear

I want tea parties
soccer games
stuffed animals
night lights
checking for the 'boogie man'
and never ending questions
I want corny dance moves
off key singing
and 'are we there yet' marathons

I want first day of school jitters
PTA meetings
sleepovers
and college applications

I wanna have children
who know they are loved
and cared for
Who never have to question
their place in my world
and I'll let them know
their world is full of endless possibilities

No comments: